Sunday, November 24, 2013

Gettin Scrappy


Nope not scrapbook scrappy.  But quilt scrappy.  Started cutting out a new quilt top I am making. I am making it out of different Christmas prints using a "cake" stack pattern I found online. I am hoping it goes as fast I have a week to get it done in before I start Bonnie hunters mystery quilt. Read more about it here http://quiltville.blogspot.com/p/celtic-solstice-mystery.html   This is my first mystery quilt and I'm excited about it and a lil nervous on how well I'll be able to keep up or of it's over my head.  I have so far gotten my fabrics picked out most of which came from my stash but I did go yesterday to add to it. :)   Here is a photo of what I have so far



 
 
 This is the color paler she has given us to follow
 
 
 
 
I think I did pretty good, I do feel like I need to add some more neutrals just for the fact that I don't feel like I have a very good verity after looking at so of the others posting in the group. 

This starts on the November 29th.   In between trying to finish up this one last quilt before the mystery quilt begins I have been doing a lil what I refer to as "clear the decks,"  to prepare for this.  
 
I have also added a few more drawers to my room to start sorting my scrap fabrics in as I cut.  I love Bonnie Hunters system that you can find on her blog quiltville  under tips and techniques. 
 
 
 
 
Below is the beginnings of my crumb drawer.  You'll learn more about that later.  See got to give you something to look forward to.
 
 
Bonnie also has another technique she uses that she calls leaders and enders.   Really cool idea that I will be trying as I am working on the mystery quilt.  I'm not sure how to explain it so again if you go to her blog you can read more about it and she also has a book on this.  I am hoping to buy this book after Christmas.  The jest is you are using up scraps that you have cut for her organizing scrap system and sew for example scrappy nine patches as you are sewing the main quilt you are working on.  This way you have them ready for another project they may call for these later and you are saving time, thread, and oh heck it just sounds like a fun way to sew.   The way this works is you would have for example a stack of lights and darks in like a 2 1/2" squares and you would start you project with these and end it with these.  Like I said I'm not very good at explaining it but I tried.  Her blog explains it best.   I am hoping to buy this book after Christmas. 
 
Now do me a favor if your a quilter who don't save those scraps keep me in mind I'll use them in one of my scrappy quilts. 
 
CRAFT SOMETHING TODAY!
 
Tina   AKA Tee Tee

No comments:

Post a Comment