Monday, September 29, 2014

Quilts of the Past!

I love quilts!  I love them all!  Old, new, modern, primative, traditional!  I don't really seem to have anyone style that I gravate to more then another but I do love really scrappy ones the best if I did have to choose!  I JUST LOVE QUILTS!  But one of the things I love about quilts is its history!

The below quilts were made by a very special lady.  My Aunt Leah!  She was a big influence to me in a quilty way in fact I think she may have been the very first person I ever saw quilt.  She was a traditional quilter and a scrappy one.  Not only was her style traditional but she hand pieced everyone of there quilts.

Leah Rose

 
Melinda on left, Uncle Larry in middle and my beautiful Aunt Leah on the right

Sadly she is no longer with us but she left us some great memories and her legacy of quilts.  Below are a few of her quilts she made that I had the pleasure of seeing and photographing while at Melinda's house last week.  Thank you Aunt Leah for the love you gave and left us!  Thank you Melinda for sharing this wonder gift with me and giving me a chance to touch, see and photograph these!








 Notice the flower in the star she added extra batting in there so they will puff up!


the quilt below is one Aunt Leah made and gave my mom!  Mom loved this and the top was not quilted.  I wasnt very good at it but I hand quilted this one using a large lap hoop.  I treasure this for sure.  But I feel like it belongs to melinda so she can pass it on to her grandchildren one day!  So this one is going home to her!  I love you Melinda and I love my Aunt and what she gave of her life for those she loved!




No comments:

Post a Comment