Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Favorite Scissors

I love my Ginger Scissors.  It was what I grew up on.  My mom had a pair and I can't remember her never having these scissors.  I am blessed to own her old ones and yes they still work.  You know if you come in my house and use my sewing scissors for anything but fabric I may use them on you.  LOL  Just kidding.  Now momma wasn't this way at all she used these for everything and I do mean everything.  I can remember her using them on paper, sewing, and even in the kitchen to open boxes and bags and anything else they could be used for.  Here is my mom's scissors they look worn but they still cut, they do need sharpened but I'm too scared to trust them in the hands of anyone.  They are priceless to me.


This is a picture of my mom I sure wish she was here to use these.  Even to open up her bills with.  She kept them on a table beside her favorite chair always handy.  I like to thank she'd likes to know that I still use them on my desk but I only use them on paper and to cut thread at times.



another pair that has been around our house for a long time but I don't think they are Gingher but look vintage to me are these little embroidery scissors or as my dad call them snips.  They have a "Gold Seal" name on them and say they were from St. Pete's Fl.  Anyone know anything about these?  These were at one time my Aunt Juanita's they have her name on them.  I think she gave them or my mom at some point.  Again these were always on my mom's table.



Both of these are treasures to me.

I have a few pairs of Ginger Scissor's that I've bought over the past few years and they are for SEWING ONLY!!!  This 8in-knife-edge-dressmakers-shears was my first pair I bought they are wonderful I've had them about 2 years now and they are just as sharp as the day I took them out of the box.  They have never been sharpened.


I like to use the below pair for when I need to remove stablizer from machine embroiderd or aplique projects anything I need to get a close cut on.


the below pair are lightweight-embroidery-scissors which are what I carry in my purse to use with my paper piecing project.  Read about that in the post before this one.  


These are some "Snips" as I call them and there is a pair I keep beside my sewing machines to clip off little corners, or threads.  LOVE THESE




I have a few Fiskars scissors as well and they are good too but I love my Ginghers the best and I love that they have history.  I hope to collect a few more vintage scissors in time to use and display in my studio.  I use my Fiskars mostly for my paper crafting projects.

Well the day is going to come to an end soon and I don't want it to end without getting in some more sewing so off here I need to go.  Hope you enjoyed my adventures in scissors page.  I am silly I know to get excited over something as like scissors but when you sew you know how important a good favorite pair are to you.  


AS Always:

Happy Crafting 
From
ttime creations




1 comment:

  1. I have just as many pairs of scissors as you do - all with a special purpose. Plus I have some pinking shears.
    I think your aunt's scissor may have been about 1950s. There are several references to that type of scissor on the net. Apparently they still make them.

    ReplyDelete